Welcome to PlaaPlaaPlaa!

So you may be wondering why PlaaPlaaPlaa? What are those strange fish symbols above? What is ปลา and what does it mean? In short, this is a blog site, so surely there's going to be plenty of rambling. Unfortunately BlahBlahBlah was already taken, so I had to settle for the 'Plaa'. But there's actually more to it then just ramblings. The first fish symbol is actually a Christian symbol meaning ICTHUS - a greek acronymn which means "Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour". The other strange letters you see in the last fish is actually the thai word for fish which funnily enough is pronounced "Plaa". So when you put it all together, this site is going to be my ramblings in telling people about how Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour in Thailand (with plenty of good stories about food in between). Happy reading.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Journey to the 'ends of the earth'

It's still hard to believe that i actually got to go to Italy. It was an absolutely fantastic (but tiring) 2 weeks as we went from Milan, to Cinque Terre, to Siena and then Rome - with all sorts of day trips in between. By the time we got to Rome, we had been to 7 different cities in 10 days. The feet and legs were starting to feel the effects of the many kms covered as we played tourist in each cities, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's kind of weird to say that I can't even pick a favourite city that we went to, as every place was so different and there were things that I loved about each of the places we went. But a couple of highlights would have to be driving through and having a picnic in Tuscany, seeing the colosseum and other relics in Rome, the views at Cinque Terre, and a Tuscan cooking class. Whilst it was physically tiring at times, it was also a great time to chill out, spend time with my friend, and be able to refresh myself for serving back in CM.

One of the other highlights of the trip for me was how going to many of these places suddenly made many of the stories that we read about in the Bible become more alive. Walking through the Palestine Hills and Roman Forum, I could suddenly picture in my mind Paul sitting around talking, debating and urging people to believe the good news. As we admired the views and pondered what on earth would make someone think that those rocks would make a great place to build a town on at Cinque Terre, I couldn't help but think of the times when Paul got shipwrecked and how just how easy it would've been. Going to the catacombs just opened up a whole new side to the early church that I had never even thought about. There's still so much to reflect back on, but all up, it was an amazing trip that I am so thankful to God, my friend and my parents for. 

Here are a few shots from the trip