Welcome to PlaaPlaaPlaa!

So you may be wondering why PlaaPlaaPlaa? What are those strange fish symbols above? What is ปลา and what does it mean? In short, this is a blog site, so surely there's going to be plenty of rambling. Unfortunately BlahBlahBlah was already taken, so I had to settle for the 'Plaa'. But there's actually more to it then just ramblings. The first fish symbol is actually a Christian symbol meaning ICTHUS - a greek acronymn which means "Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour". The other strange letters you see in the last fish is actually the thai word for fish which funnily enough is pronounced "Plaa". So when you put it all together, this site is going to be my ramblings in telling people about how Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour in Thailand (with plenty of good stories about food in between). Happy reading.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Birthday Celebrations

In honour of my birthday, Thailand decided to have a public holiday. Yeah, ok, maybe the holiday wasn't exactly for my birthday, but that's what I told all my friends anyway. While I really missed being able to celebrate my birthday with friends back in Sydney, I had a great night celebrating with family and my Thai friends. Due to a bit of indecision on what to do, it ended up being a bit last minute invite the night before. Even though some friends couldn't make it, a few were still able to come over to my sisters place for dinner. It also happened to be the birthday of friends son Kluey, and all he cared about was that my nephew Sean was there to help him celebrate his birthday, so we decided to have a 'joint' birthday celebration. Dinner ended up being an 'International Buffet' which comprised of tacos, pasta, vietnamese wraps, thai bbq'd fish, sticky rice, salad, a lime creme brûlée and a pav. We all had a great night, the kids had a great time playing Just Dance non-stop, adults got to chat lots, do puzzles with the kids and just hang out. It was also a great excuse to try and get some of different groups of friends from church, school, and other randoms I've met along the way, to know each other and for those who are Christians to get to know those who aren't. Pity birthdays only come around once a year, but hopefully I can invite everyone over to my new place...once I finally get one :) Here are a few pics from the night
getting better at doing group 'selfless'. Here's me with my friends and our international buffet spread
With the kids and the Pav which was our birthday cake
Kluey and I blowing out the candles