Welcome to PlaaPlaaPlaa!

So you may be wondering why PlaaPlaaPlaa? What are those strange fish symbols above? What is ปลา and what does it mean? In short, this is a blog site, so surely there's going to be plenty of rambling. Unfortunately BlahBlahBlah was already taken, so I had to settle for the 'Plaa'. But there's actually more to it then just ramblings. The first fish symbol is actually a Christian symbol meaning ICTHUS - a greek acronymn which means "Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour". The other strange letters you see in the last fish is actually the thai word for fish which funnily enough is pronounced "Plaa". So when you put it all together, this site is going to be my ramblings in telling people about how Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour in Thailand (with plenty of good stories about food in between). Happy reading.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year!!

So 2011 is now over and 2012 has now begun. After a nice relaxing holiday with college friends at the Central Coast between Christmas and New Years where i even managed to read a whole book in a week (and no, it wasn't a little golden book), I got to welcome in the new year with friends at my place. My college housemate and I got to put on a braai (South African for BBQ using a Weber - or should I say 'Wieber'), and even got to experiment in cooking a 1.5kg pork shoulder which to our surprise, and relief, worked out really well. Then we watched the fireworks, played Wii, chatted, laughed, ate waaaay too much and had a really nice chilled out night.


The Braai with our pork and Boerewors


With Don, Bridgie and Kath on NYE

It's both exciting and scary to think about what this year, and the future, has in store. There are so many changes that will be happening in the next few months - preparations for heading back to Thailand, saying goodbyes to friends and family, moving over to Thailand and getting back into life over there. It's been a real blessing however, to be more excited about heading back rather than nervous and scared about the unknown that awaits. Over the past few weeks, God has given me a real peace and excitement about heading back. Many of the things that i imagine would usually cause more stress and anxiety in heading overseas feel like they have been taken away as God has steadily provided churches and friends to be supporting and partnering with me as I head back to Thailand. I've still got more Partnership Development to do which can be a daunting thought at times, but God's constant provisions so far have been a constant reminder to me that he is truly in control and sovereign over all things and will provide all we need. One thing i heard in a recent sermon from the book of James that has been challenging me is to be thinking about how i live my life now in light of Jesus' return. It definitely puts a whole new perspective on the way i view many of my momentary troubles and the way i know i should live my life now.

Over the next couple months before i head, i'm really looking forward to spending time with friends, sharing about the things God has been teaching me and ways he's been working, and the ways i hope that he might be able to use me in the future. I'm also hoping to get in a few more bike rides, sloth nights, maybe try out a few more pork shoulder recipes (or other random recipes i manage to think up) before i head off too. It's looking more likely that i'll be heading off late March now, but i'll keep you posted.

For those of you praying, please pray:
- praise God for the past 2 years that i've been able to spend at college and all that he has taught me
- praise God for his provisions over the past couple months in heading back to Thailand
- for wisdom in how i use my time in the next couple months, that i'll be able to spend quality time with people and be an encouragement to others
- that God will raise up people to be partnering with me in prayer and financially as i head back to Thailand
- that God will be preparing the way as i head back to Thailand with all the practicalities - visas, plane tickets etc