Welcome to PlaaPlaaPlaa!

So you may be wondering why PlaaPlaaPlaa? What are those strange fish symbols above? What is ปลา and what does it mean? In short, this is a blog site, so surely there's going to be plenty of rambling. Unfortunately BlahBlahBlah was already taken, so I had to settle for the 'Plaa'. But there's actually more to it then just ramblings. The first fish symbol is actually a Christian symbol meaning ICTHUS - a greek acronymn which means "Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour". The other strange letters you see in the last fish is actually the thai word for fish which funnily enough is pronounced "Plaa". So when you put it all together, this site is going to be my ramblings in telling people about how Jesus Christ is God's Son, the Saviour in Thailand (with plenty of good stories about food in between). Happy reading.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Thank You God!!

To say that i was scared sharing my testimony in Thai for the first time ever today is probably a massive understatement! It was the first time that i've had an opportunity to speak for 15 minutes about how i became a christian and what it means to me to be a christian to all the teachers at school today. I did have the opportunity to say it in english and have someone translate it for me (which would've been the easier road to travel), but i thought i'd take the plunge and try to share it all in Thai. For me, that was a massive step to take in language learning and speaking and i know for a fact, that it's only because of God and his help that i could actually do it all in Thai today.

Wanting to try and speak in Thai meant that i really had to cut back on many things that i really would've loved to share (due to my lack of vocab), plus risk the fact that my whole audience wouldn't understand a single thing that i said (cos it's highly likely that i could pronounced everything wrong). But God does do amazing things and he not only enabled me to say the things i wanted to say (in simple thai of course), but he also allowed the teachers to understand me too!! :) There were obviously a few things i pronounced wrong, but i was told that they could still understand me, so praise God! I was talking to one of the teachers before the meeting and before i had even shared my testimony, she was already really encouraged by the fact that i wanted to give it a go in Thai and was encouraging me to be reminded that God can work in us and enable us to speak. I just pray that many of the teachers were challenged and reminded about what it really means to be a christian and what it means to trust in jesus' death and resurrection as the only way that we can be friends with God.

The bad news is, no matter if i speak english or thai, i still seem to say 'um' and 'yeah' A LOT. But thankfully, i seem to have dropped the 'ya know'. :)